Saturday, November 1, 2008

I Never Thought How Quick It Would Come


My wife and I are starting the process of finding a college for my oldest son, David. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by! I have these images running through my head of him playing in the mud, me strapping in his car seat, learning how to ride a bike before I could teach him, starting his first day of school, swinging at balls with his little league buddies, playing catch, going to middle school, deciding that girls were OK after all, starting high school, teaching him how to drive, wrestling meets, football games, SAT tests, and alas, graduating from high school and now...college applications. We are so proud of him in so many ways for the things he has accomplished and the great young man that he is becoming.

My thoughts are going out to you newer dads who are just now starting the process. Be sure to spend time with your kids....as much as you can possibly give. Pray for them daily. Let them see you in the stands cheering for them at their games or going to their performances and school events. Time is the one gift you will never regret giving to your kids. Take in each moment with them and record in your mind all of the feelings, sights, sounds, smells, tears, laughter, and fun that you can remember. The time will come too soon when you are filling out all of the college applications and the flashbacks will overwhelm you. I can promise you that!

No comments: